Tuesday, February 10, 2009

87 young Tamil Civilians arrested today by Sri Lankan Army including 15 girls. What would be their fate? Rape, torture or death? Who will care?

I phoned to talk to one of my friend in the affected area. It is a pure chaos. I could not reach anybody I know. When I talked to somebody there they were worrying that 87 young Tamils civilians including 15 girls were arrested today and nobody can get any information about them.

Sri Lankan army is well known to rape, torture and killings of innocent Tamils Civilians. Sri Lankan army have a track record for deploying violence against Tamils in Sri Lanka in every chance they get. You can get a glimse of what has happened to Tamils in custody:

Sri Lanka: Rape in custody:

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/info/ASA37/001/2002/en

Sri Lanka: Fear of torture / medical concern / death in custody:

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/ASA37/015/2000/en/dom-ASA370152000en.html

What would makes us believe it would be different this time? Actually it would be worse I fear as media and monitors are totally blocked from these areas.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment